Healthy Dad-Friendly Meat Pie
15 Mins Prep + 1 Hour 55 Mins Cooking
Serves 6 I Per serve: 1176 Kj (281 cal) per serve
500g Lean Beef Chuck Steak, fat trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes
1 Red Onion, finely diced
1 Carrot, peeled, finely diced
2 Celery sticks, fined diced
½ Red Capsicum, chopped
2 Garlic cloves, crushed
3 Large Mushrooms, diced
3 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
2 tbs Plain Flour
2 tbs Tomato Paste
1 tbs Worcestershire Sauce
1½ cups Reduce Salt Beef Stock
½ cup Red Wine (or ½ cup beef stock)
1 sheet Puff Pastry
1 tbs Milk
- Preheat oven to 190°C.
- Heat a large non-stick saucepan over medium to high heat. Brown beef until golden, set aside. In the same saucepan, cook onions, carrot, celery, capsicum and garlic for 4-5 minutes or until soft. Add thyme and mushrooms and cook for further 2 minutes.
- Add flour and tomato paste, stirring well for 1 minute.
- Place beef back in the pan and add wine, stock and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to the boil then reduce heat and cover for 90 minutes.
- Remove pastry sheet from freezer and allow to thaw.
- Place beef filling into pie dish and cover with pastry, tucking in the sides. Brush with milk and bake in oven for 25 mins or until golden on top.
- Remove and allow to cool slightly before serving.