Pumpkin and Zucchini Beef Curry
15 Mins Prep + 2 Hours 15 Mins Cooking
Serves 4 I Per serve: 1544 Kj (367 cal)
2 garlic cloves crushed
2 tsp fresh ginger, crushed
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
2 long fresh red chillies, deseeded, chopped
2 red onions, finely chopped
2 tsp olive oil
500g chuck steak, trimmed, cut into 3 cm pieces
400g can diced tomatoes
250ml (1 cup) salt reduced beef stock
300g peeled pumpkin, coarsely chopped
1 large (or 2 small) zucchini, coarsely chopped
60ml (¼ cup) reduced-fat coconut milk
120g baby spinach
150g (1 cup) steamed brown rice & quinoa rice, to serve
- Process garlic, ginger, turmeric, ground coriander, cumin, chilli and half the onion in food processor until a coarse paste forms.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Cook beef, in 2 batches, stirring, for 2-3 minutes, until browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Heat remaining oil in pan over medium heat. Add remaining onion and cook, stirring for 3-4 minutes or until softened. Add spice paste and stir for 2 minutes or until aromatic.
- Return beef to pan with tomato and stock. Bring to the boil. Simmer, covered, over low heat for 1½ hours. Add pumpkin. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Add zucchini and 2 tbs coconut milk and cook for 5 minutes, until pumpkin is tender. Season, Stir through spinach. Drizzle with remaining 1 tbs coconut milk. Serve with brown rice & quinoa